Perhaps I should have committed to making salsa today… but with all the riding coming up that we’re doing, I decided I should finish my repairs on some tack.
Do you remember the ginormous wool saddle pad I made for Vernon? Two hundred dollars worth of wool and hours of work????
A pack rat made a meal or two of the sweaty gusset area for the withers. (Yes, he probably lined his nest with it, but still…)
I hope he plugged himself up! Boy, was I disgusted!
How was I going to fix this???
Well, some nylon twine and a big needle… and I tried to recreate the small squares of the canvas. I failed. But I tried. No way was I going to get as many small squares! Well, make do with whatchya got… (It looked MUCH worse than this… from the edge, clear into a wide spot at the base of the gusset was gone. At this stage, my worry that I could repair it was diminished…)
So I pushed and pulled and wove and tied and added more and more wool… until…
I think it’s good.
Ugly. But good.
Then my saddle. I’ve lost some of the decorative conchos that held my saddle strings in place. I placed an order, got the wrong pieces, forgot the leather conchos, then ordered a size smaller than I probably should have, then ended up with waaay too many pieces.
It was kind of a joke all the way around, but! I have new conchos installed… and… if you need some long D ring pieces, we might just make a trade!