Finally, I get to share!
My gift has arrived and now I can show my latest woodburning project.
It began as a recycled wood sign. I sanded off the brown paint, and gave myself a new canvas. I expected more of a pine board, but it is a hardwood, I believe… and it wasn’t that easy to burn consistently.
I knew a few designs going in to the process. First, this is for M., from Shepherd’s Way English Shepherds. Her dog, Honey, was Lucas’ mother. Her dog, Shire, is Bravo’s mother. M. led me into the world of English Shepherds… I felt I had many reasons to thank her!
I chose to use her dogs’ names, a couple of scenic shots I found while “stalking” her photos on her website, and some phrases I found that she had liked.
I also included some favorite books and the classic “Found” painting. Then I started to get stuck. I changed my mind. I erased. I asked her questions. I rambled through photos she had posted online.
I *really* didn’t want to do portraits of her living dogs… I resisted and resisted. Somehow, it felt like the thing to do… but portraits are hard!
I started to add color and just think on it. Unlike my library table, I used watercolor here… unfortunately, I’d end up regretting that decision. I wanted a milder color and thought that was the way to get it.
I *still* had a blank square!
I decided to go for it, hoping that my portraits wouldn’t be too bad since there’s really no erasing in woodburning. Even though two of the dogs are black and white, I jumped in!
Eh, I wasn’t thrilled, but ok. No changing it now.
However, with the addition of a light stain and various polycrylic protective coats, my watercolors smeared.
Okay, I admit, you probably can’t see it in the photo, but it’s there…
NOTE TO SELF: DO NOT USE WATERCOLORS!
It doesn’t really matter what I see as imperfections, M. received this in the mail… and loved it. That’s all I was *really* going for!Find me here!