After the first half of the herd had been sorted and trailed to their pastures, we decided to break for lunch. Megan and Brandon and I had our horses, and they tied theirs with halters to the corral. I had no halter, and was too lazy to walk to the barn to get one. I have one thin parachute cord between the bit and the reins on my bridle. It’s sole purpose is to break before the leather of the bridle does. I trusted it and wrapped my reins around the corral pole and left.
I suppose you can see where this is going… Sure enough, Brandon gave me a shout of, ”Mom, your horse is loose!” Ugh. Not only had Milo broke his headstall, he broke his throatlatch as well. Goodness. I trudged dismally to the barn to look for replacement parts. I gave up and used another bridle as Daniel arrived to saddle his horse to trail this completed half of the herd to their pastures.
It was a good headstall, too! I guess I didn’t realize the strength of one strand of parachute cord. I’ll change that with this next mix and match bridle I’ll create.Find me here!